Saturday, April 17, 2010

Why I like phones & phone booths etc...

It's not because I like to talk although that may be your first guess. 

I have a sentimental affection for phones and phone booths etc.  It's mostly because my Dad was a phone man.  He began his career in November 1967 with the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company of Virginia as a frame repairman.

After about a year or so he became an installer/repairman.  He used to go into peoples houses to fix their phones and even had to climb a telephone pole or two.  Around '80 or '81 he then became a PBX repairman which means he repaired big systems - those with 60 phones or more.  He retired in 2000 with 33 years of service.

This is the phone in my Dad's workshop.  I really like it because it's vintage.  I used to want a princess phone because I thought they were fancy looking.  Nowadays I'd rather have one like this.

dad's old phone

This is a pic of me playing the phone game with a statue of Alexander Graham Bell on the streets of downtown Rapid City, SD.

sd jan 2010 256

South Dakota Air and Space Museum outside of Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City, South Dakota.

old 008

Here are a couple of pics from the Greater Southwest Historical Museum.

old 009 old 010 old 012

Here's one of me making a call on the streets of Rapid City, SD.

sd jan 2010 232

And here I am again in lovely downtown Keystone SD. 

south dakota 198

I wonder who I am talking to??

south dakota 199

This is a phone hanging on the wall of Wall Drug in Wall, SD. 

south dakota1 243

This is a pic of a phone booth near my home.  Sadly it is no longer there.

tom thumb phone

And no blog post would be complete without at least one Air Force pic.  :)  This is a picture of the phone booths at Lackland.

lackland phones

I wonder how many wonderful connections were made using these phones? 

So now I try not to pass up an opportunity to take a photo of a phone or a phone booth or anything related to those things.  It reminds me of my Dad and makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment