Friday, October 30, 2009

The Trip to South Dakota Oct. '09

So ~M~ and I were off to another adventure.  This time we were headed up to South Dakota to vist ~N~ at Ellsworth AFB.  Now ~N~ knew I was coming up but he did not know that I was flying up ~M~ and he certainly did not know that ~H~ was also joining us.  Fun time and surprises were definitely on the agenda!  More on that later.

I find different things interesting.  I say different because it seems that not everyone shares my interest in the everyday stuff that I notice.  For example, after arriving at the airport VERY early (and a super big thank you to my folks for getting up early and driving us) we went to Burger King to get something for breakfast.  I noticed this on the bag:

south dakota 017

Well obviously I needed to check the bottom of the bag to see if the #12 was truly there.

south dakota 018

It was so all was well in my world.  Please note the disgusting grease spots on the bag.  Our food was greasy but good. 

So here we are ready to go at 5:45am. 

south dakota 019

And you will notice I am wearing my AF Parent Pin.  I've worn it every day since ~N~ gave it to me.  :)   Now we actually boarded at the correct time but ended up sitting on the tarmac for about an hour.  Apparently the torrential rains that Dallas had experienced during the night and in the early morning before our flight got an instrument on the plane wet.  Now seriously, how does that happen?  Are the planes not weather resistant?  What if we're flying and it rains on the plane and it gets wet again?  I would not fill my mind with those troubling thoughts as we were off into the wild blue yonder psyching ourselves up for an awesome adventure.

We flew in to Denver where we were meeting ~H~.  He wasn't arriving for about about an hour so we wandered around and headed to the gate to meet ~H~.  Inside the Denver airport there are moving sidewalks.  As Jim Gaffigan would say the moving sidewalk is the cousin of the escalator. 

south dakota 021

We also saw the airport post office and some mailboxes.  There really isn't much else to see while waiting for the rest of your party to arrive.

south dakota 025

south dakota 027

Here's a pic of the plane that would take all of us to see ~N~. 

south dakota 031

Unlike the DFW airport, in Denver you actually leave the terminal and walk to the plane.  It's a little different but kind of cute.  Here's a pic of the Denver airport.  They show this on a lot of their postcards.   

south dakota 032

Once we were on the plane we were instructed to follow along with the safety instructions which were conveniently located in the seat pocket in front of us.  I was so proud of ~M~ for actually listening and following the instructions!  Way to go honey!!  :)

south dakota 037

As you may notice he's also holding the barf bag in his left hand.  I'm not sure why but maybe just in case....?

And last but not least while perusing the wonderful magazine that I also found in the seat pocket in front of me I noticed this lovely gift item.

south dakota 042

If I had a garden I would definitely get it.  I might even plant a garden just for the excuse to buy it!  Now that's a thought.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment