Sunday, February 5, 2012

D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery

So our Saturday started off by visiting the Cosmos Mystery Area followed by touring the National Presidential Wax Museum.  We headed to Deadwood stopping at Pactola Lake then off to have lunch at the Sugar Shack.  We then took advantage of a photo op at the World's Largest Easy Glider and a stop at the Boondocks.  We finally made it to Deadwood where we saw where Wild Bill Hickok was buried and looked around town.  Whew~~but wait! We weren't finished yet!

We arrived at the D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery ready for a little more fun.

south dakota trip 562

south dakota trip 563

We were ready to have some fun!

south dakota trip 565

They apparently want to keep the place clean.

south dakota trip 568

And they even provide the bags!

south dakota trip 567

We took a little bit of time to feed all the fish and ducks in the pond.

I would not consider myself a history buff by any means but I do really enjoy seeing old things.  Whether you call them retro or vintage I just like looking at things and thinking about the stories they could tell if they could talk.  Here are some of my favorite pics.

south dakota trip 588 south dakota trip 589 south dakota trip 591 south dakota trip 593 south dakota trip 597 south dakota trip 582 south dakota trip 584 south dakota trip 587

There was this boat that you could look in and it was really neat.  I am not sure if I could live on a boat like that but it was fun looking at it.

south dakota trip 610

south dakota trip 609

I saw this in the gift shop where I was buying my patch.  I collect patches from all the places I've been to.  Anyways there was a sign asking folks to vote for your favorite park.  Since they are the only ones that asked me to vote, I did!

south dakota trip 616

After all that fun we headed back to Rapid city.  Boy were we tired.  I didn't get any pics of this but on the way we kept seeing all these Ford Mustangs.  Like a ton of them.  So I googled it and guess what?  There was apparently a Sturgis Mustang Rally!  Well that explains it then!

We tried to eat at the Alpine Inn but it was too crowded and we were way too hungry so instead we ate at a restaurant across the street.  I can't remember the name of it but it was supposed to be authentic Tex-Mex.  We're from Texas and trust me...for the area that you are in this is as probably as close to good Tex-Mex as you'll get but it wasn't great.

south dakota trip 624

So you know my favorite website to find odd and unusual places to visit is RoadsideAmerica.com.  On there you'll find a tip for something called Lawnmower Pile-Up in Rapid City and here's my pic of it!

south dakota trip 619

Our day was done and it was time to get some rest.  What a great day and many thanks to Nick for taking us to see all those wonderful sites!

south dakota trip 611

No comments:

Post a Comment