Saturday, February 4, 2012

Heading To Deadwood

On the road again heading to Deadwood, South Dakota which was our next destination we passed this sign which is something I've definitely never seen where I live.

south dakota trip 416

I didn't see any bighorn sheep which was a disappointment but I kept an eye out for them.  I mean have seriously any of my friends EVER seen a bighorn sheep out in the wild? 

Nick had told us about this lake called Pactola Lake and we asked him to stop so we could take a look.  It was breathtakingly beautiful and I literally could not speak for a moment as I was mesmerized by the beauty.  I wish my pictures could do it justice.  If you click on the pics it makes them bigger but I just suggest you head up there and see for yourself.

south dakota trip 418

south dakota trip 419

south dakota trip 420

M headed down to get a closer look

south dakota trip 423

I joined him and Nick took our picture. 

south dakota trip 427

And then M took one of Nick and I

south dakota trip 431

It was absolutely gorgeous and we would have loved to spend more time exploring the area but we were getting hungry and I also wanted to see one of my "attractions" from RoadsideAmerica.com

So off we were again heading to eat lunch at the Sugar Shack which is right of 385.

south dakota trip 437

If you want to see a few more pics of the inside click below.  It's a small place but big on atmosphere. 

The onion rings were definitely yummy.

south dakota trip 444

M ordered the Bubba Burger and Nick ordered the Kraut Burger.   

south dakota trip 448 south dakota trip 446

Although I liked the name of M's burger, I opted for the chili dog complete with homemade chili.  They had the chili in a crockpot right up there on the counter. 

south dakota trip 445

Nick attacked his burger.

south dakota trip 449

As M contemplated his...

south dakota trip 453

Minus the jalapenos that M chose not to eat i would say that M prevailed against the burger.

south dakota trip 455

Now as I was taking pics of my food, as I always do, I noticed this couple near me watching and whispering. Yes, I know it's a bit weird but how else can my multitudes of fans see what I'm eating if I don't take a few ::cough:: ::cough:: a lot of pics?  I explained to them I have this little blog where I share this and that.  I am sure they still think I'm weird, possibly even weirder now that I've spoken to them in this tiny restaurant about why I'm taking pics of my food but at least I've explained myself.

Right by the Sugar Shack there is the home of the World's Largest Easy Glider.  I had found out about this from my favorite website RoadsideAmerica.com.  I of course had to stop.  I'm so lucky that my kids and my bff M are always so indulgent in my wanting to see things like that.

south dakota trip 468

south dakota trip 465

south dakota trip 471

Back on the road again we passed a little group of stores called Boondocks.  Have you heard of that song called Down in the Boondocks?  Well once I saw the sign I absolutely HAD to stop.  I had that 45 when I was a kid and it was one of my favorite songs.  Down in the boondocks...down in the boondocks...people put me down 'cuz that's the side of town I was born in....I love her, she loved me....

south dakota trip 483

Anyways they had tons and tons of 50's fun stuff and here's a glimpse of some of it.

Cool cars

Musical stuff

Coca-cola stuff

They had this vintage cash register that was the same kind I had when I was younger.  If it was for sale I would have totally bought it!  I may have to ebay it and see if I can find one. 

south dakota trip 500

This part of the shop that I'm about to share with you, besides finding the cash register above of course, was my favorite part.  I'm not necessarily a huge Elvis fan however, this room totally cracked me up.  The signage and all that was in there...awww just keep reading.

This lamp came from the Presley home in Graceland.

south dakota trip 504

south dakota trip 508

There was a chair in the room that you'll see in the video and here's the signage that went with it.

This video gives you a tour of the Elvis room where Suspicious Minds played in the background.  Simply classic.

Please enjoy...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment