Thursday, June 7, 2012

On the way to Fredericksburg

We woke up the next morning and headed to Ingram, Tx so that we could see Stonehenge II and Easter Island Heads.  Both of these I found on my favorite website, www.RoadsideAmerica.com.

may2012 trip 065 may2012 trip 064

may2012 trip 066

Heading from Ingram to Fredericksburg we took a bit of a detour so we could take the following pic.

 may2012 trip 075  

We are expecting a new niece in just a few months and her name is Harper so of course we had to take a pic when we found out there was a town named Harper in Texas!!

And of course if we come across a post office we also make it a point to stop and take some pics!

may2012 trip 078

may2012 trip 079

may2012 trip 080

Back on the road again we headed to Fredericksburg.  Driving down Main Street (where the first letter of the street signs spell out Welcome and Come Back depending on which way you are going) we spotted the Pioneer Museum.

more stuff 012more stuff 013 

Now we just love looking at vintage stuff and of course I took some pics while I was there.  Click on the album if you'd like to take a peek at some things that caught my eye. We did meet two very lovely elderly ladies who were the docents and they were so sweet to talk to. 

Different things catch my eye for different reasons.  I'm naturally curious so when I saw this and realized it was used to make barbed wire I thought to myself, do they still do it like that?  I of course googled it when I got home.

IMG_5815 IMG_5816

So I found an article on Wikipedia on it but it didn't really explain it.  Or I guess I should say that I lost interest in reading before I found out so then I searched Youtube and found this video: Perfect Barbed Wire Making Machine

We also spotted a friend who apparently had made themselves a part of the museum.

IMG_5831

We weren't sure that he (I am assuming here) was real but M tried to poke him with a stick and then pronounced that the lizard was alive.  I just took his word for it.

I also saw this cool pocket signal disk.

may2012 trip 099

When I was younger I wished I knew Morse Code probably because Nancy Drew knew how to do it. Because it seems very confusing to me that would be another reason I never joined the Navy.  Well that and the fact that I had never considered joining the Navy.  Army yes, Navy no.

There was lots more to see on our trip so off we went to find some food to fill our tummies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment