Friday, June 1, 2012

Road Trip to Kerrville

We left early on Monday rocking out our Texas and Michigan shirts as we wanted to get a jump on traffic.

beginning

We drove for a bit and came across a water tower.  I like water towers.

2 may2012 trip700a

We came to our first stop which was Glen Rose Texas and decided to use the Urban Spoon app to find Debbie's Restaurant.

debbies

Debbie's was a small town type of restaurant and besides needing a little updating we did enjoy our breakfast. I used the ladies room while there and those that know me know I am on the lookout for bathroom art as my master bath is in need of some decorating. Here's what Debbie's had in the way of bathroom art:

at debbies821 at debbies2

After finishing off breakfast we headed to see the dinosaurs. 

dinos

And there were dinosaurs

I know I should have known but I didn't think I would actually have to hike to see any of the dino tracks so considering I only packed flip flops and heels I did not do any real exploring. Here's what I did see:

There's a Dinosaur World and we stopped there as well.

may2012 trip 037

Now correct me if I'm wrong but is Godzilla a dinosaur?  I didn't think so but it was in the gift shop.

I visited the bathroom at the gift shop and this is their version of bathroom art which I thought went with the "dino theme" of the park.

may2012 trip 036 may2012 trip 035

We also stopped at the visitor center and had a great time chatting with the two ladies that were there. They were kind enough to show us some fossils.

may2012 trip 033 may2012 trip 032

Now a totally cool thing that happened while we were there was one of the ladies asked if we wanted to see something.  We both said, "SURE!!"  She took us to another room and we were able to see a monarch butterfly that had just come out of it's cocoon.  Very cool stuff!!

may2012 trip 031

Passed through Hamilton, Texas and snapped a pic of their Post Office.

may2012 trip 040

We headed toward Llano, Texas so we could eat at the famous Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que. Right before we found the place we passed one of my RoadsideAmerica.com stops - Texas Tin Lizard Bottle Trees.

We arrived at Cooper's and seriously OH-MY-LAAAANTAAAA!!!

may2012 trip 055 may2012 trip 054

I think we got one of just about everything and oh my word it was good!!

coopers100

Their pork chops were AMAZING!

IMG_5779

Back on the road again we headed to Kerville, Texas where we were going to stay the night at Inn of the Hills.  I booked the romance package and surprised M with this when we got to our room.

IMG_5780

The package included dinner and so we headed to the restaurant.  The decor in the restaurant included these totally cool Swiss cow bells.

IMG_5788 IMG_5787

I like to try new things and on the dinner buffet they had something called "Russian eggs".  I only know that they are called Russian eggs because that's what the waitress said they were.  Here's what they looked like.

IMG_5785 - Copy

I googled looking for what they were and none of the recipes that I found matched what I saw.  They were hard boiled eggs cut in half on a bed of peas covered with thousand island dressing.  No lie.  And yes I tasted them.  I used to always tell my kids to try everything once so I did.  They were okay but not sure that I'll be making them anytime soon.  Marvin ordered the club sandwich and he's not even a member (Mitch Hedberg reference).

IMG_5793

Incredibly fun start to our trip and there was more fun on the way. 

<3 live <3 laugh <3 love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment