Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thankful Thursday - ACT Today! for Military Families

When I sent out my request for charities to highlight I was referred to ACT Today! for Military Families.  My interest was immediately peaked because I am a Military Mom.  I went to check it out and was surprised at the information I found.

act today - Copy

I learned that one out of every 88 military children has a diagnosis on the autism spectrum.  As it has been established that significant gains and a great improvement in the overall quality of life of children can be greatly improved with early and effective treatments I wanted to learn more about how this organization was going to do that.

The website continues on to share that military families impacted by autism face even more extraordinary circumstances and access to effective autism services is limited.  This organization is a fund dedicated to assist military families impacted by autism.  They work to improve awareness and delivery of effective autism services, and provides financial assistance to military families to help defray out-of-pocket costs associated with autism treatments and other quality of life programs.

I asked my friend who referred me what was the reason she wanted me to feature this organization.  This is what she said: 

Well, I have an 11 year old son with autism.  It has taken many years to work through all of the issues, from his diagnosis at age 3 and we are still working out the kinks.  We have excellent medical insurance, but even it doesn't cover a lot of treatments, medical supplies and equipment that may be needed.  It was recommended that we apply for TEFRA, which, based on disability, will cover those things.  The application process itself for TEFRA took 11 months.  It is a continuous evaluation process keeping up with speech therapy, occupational therapy, socialization, medications, diet, etc. 

We have an incredible support system here and I feel very lucky for that.  But it is something that has evolved over many years of adaptation, with the same people involved.  Cameron has a mild form of the disorder called Asperger's syndrome which is a high-functioning form on the spectrum.  Others are much more severe and require more help; different therapies and treatments.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to have to move every 2 to 4 years and have to start the process all over again!  Or, worse, be stationed overseas, or go through all of this with Mom or Dad being deployed.  Many kids with autism require a very structured, consistent routine.  A change in that routine can lead to meltdowns and setbacks. Every new school year is very traumatic.  Again, we are very lucky in that our school system has been very accommodating.  They understand the need for consistency and will overlap certain teachers and therapists each year to help ease him in to any change.  Moving to a new school would be horrifying!

For parents, I would imagine that re-establishing medical care, therapy, and a support system with each new duty station would be overwhelming, especially for those acting as single parents due to deployment.  I am a Navy brat and have lived in some pretty cool places as a child.  Married an Air Force brat and now I am a proud Air Force mom and Coast Guard mom of 2 amazing daughters.  I am however, very grateful that my husband and I didn't have to go through this experience with our son while also serving in the military.

So that is her story and you may know someone with a story of their own.  I made my $5 donation and read on their website that every donation, both large and small, from corporations to individuals, is used to help make a difference in the life of a military child with autism. Thank you for your support!  Those are their words not mine.  I would encourage you to take a moment and donate.  If you are following my weekly Thankful Thursday posts you know I'm hoping to make a difference in 2011.  What are you hoping to do?

Ready to donate?  Then click HERE!

 

3 comments: