Sunday, August 14, 2011

Crock Pot Lasagna

I love new recipes where I can utilize my crock pot to make a meal.  This one is from Betty Croker and is technically called Slow Cooker Lasagna but I don't call my crock pot that so I have renamed it. :)

Here's what you need:

2

1 lb bulk Italian sausage (in the above pic I've already browned the sausage)

1 medium onion chopped

3 cans (15 oz each) Italian-style tomato sauce

2 tsp dried basil leaves

1/2 tsp salt

2 c mozzarella cheese (8 oz)

1 container (15 oz) part-skim ricotta cheese

1 c Parmesan cheese

15 uncooked lasagna noodles

 

Here's what you do:

1. Cook sausage and onion in a skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.  

2.1

2.  Mix 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses.  (Refrigerate remaining mozzarella cheese while lasagna cooks.)

2.2

3.  Spoon 1/4 of the sausage mixture into a 6-quart slow cooker; top with 5 noodles, broken into pieces to fit.  Spread with half of the cheese mixture and 1/4 of the sausage mixture.  Top with 5 noodles, remaining cheese mixture and 1/4 of the sausage mixture.  Top with remaining 5 noodles and remaining sausage mixture. 

4.  Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender. 

5.  Sprinkle top of lasagna with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.  Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Cut into pieces. 

This is how it turned out.

3 

4

My reviews - I forgot to top it with the remaining mozzarella cheese.  I would recommend spraying the pot with cooking spray as it seemed that the lasagna was sticking.  M said that the lasagna was a bit dry but that didn't stop him from getting seconds.  :)  Besides tasting just a tad salty (even though I didn't add the salt) I thought it turned out great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment