Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bathrooms

One of the things I enjoy taking pictures of is bathrooms.  As you may have noticed, I have a bit of an obsession with the odd and the unusual.  I'm not sure when I become fascinated with bathrooms but I've found quite a few bathrooms that have something unique about them. 

Now what on earth could make bathrooms so special?  I'm glad you asked.  I'd love to share some of my favorite unusual bathroom pictures for your enjoyment.

MEPS, Spokane Washington, 2007

bathroom 044

At first glance this might seem like an ordinary restroom.  At least that's what I thought until time to flush.  Take a closer look.  The pedal near the floor on the right is what you step on to flush. 

Sands Motel & Restaurant, Van Horn TX  2007

bathroom 046

This is obviously not a picture of a bathroom but of the sign pointing to the bathroom.  I love how it says, "ALSO WATCH-U.R-STEP".  It's a classic homemade sign.  Love it.

Portland Airport, Portland OR  2006

bathroom 047

Ever visit the restrooms in the Portland Airport?  Well you're in for a treat.  They feature water saving dual function handles.  Those are always nice.

bathroom 048

Rudy's BBQ Restaurant,  TX   2004

bathroom 049

Notice the metal thing at the bottom of the door?  Wonder what it is?  Well wonder no more. 

bathroom 050

There's a sign right above the handle that says, "Our Employees open the door with the Footpull After Washing Their Hands".  I'm also curious about the odd capitalization in the sign.

Random Bathroom somewhere in TX

bathroom 052 

Here's a close-up of the sign.

bathroom 053

I can't remember where I saw this one but I thought the sign was pretty awesome. 

OKC Airport, Oklahoma City OK   2004

bathroom 054

While on an overnight trip at the Northwest Baggage Claim (it's a story for another time) we were able to use these fancy restrooms.  They had plastic covering the seats and when you waved your hand in front of the sensor new plastic rotated around the seat. 

~~And the story behind the frog is I used to try and put the frog in all my pictures kind of like a "Where's Waldo" thing.  It never really caught on.~~

Volcano Bathroom, Granger WA 

bathroom 055

So on RoadsideAmerica.com I found out there is a Volcano Bathroom in Granger Washington and I knew I had to check it out.  It ended up being just this volcano shaped mass of fiberglass over the building housing the facilities.  It had cool "lava" painted on it.  Still it was unusual and I'm glad I saw it.

Seattle WA

bathroom 056

The cool tubular bathroom was discovered on a road trip to Seattle Washington.  I think I'd feel just a bit claustrophobic if I actually used it.  Did you happen to notice the frog on the left hand side?

Dr Pepper Museum, Waco TX  2009

bathroom 058

Again, not technically a bathroom picture but an interesting sign.  They want you to take the dirty diaper with you?  Ahhh-hahaha!!  I wanted to go and ask for a bag just to see what they would do.

Hotel near NASA, Houston TX

bathroom 059

Not actually the bathroom but this is a picture of the sink.  What I thought was funny is the thing hanging down from the left side of the wall is the hair dryer.  It's like this tube thing.  Very weird but it did work.  Also there isn't much elbow room.  Not that I'm a vigorous tooth brusher or blow dryer but not much wiggle room. 

NASA Space Museum, Houston TX

bathroom 060

If you are ever planning on traveling into space on one of the space shuttles then be prepared to use this restroom. 

Lackland AFB, San Antonio TX

bathroom 045

And finally - these are the bathrooms in my son's dorm that he used during BMT.  He said they agreed to use only the first stall on the left so when it was time to clean they only had to clean one.  An interesting concept. 

You'll probably take a second look the next time you're in a bathroom and think of me....haha!

8 comments:

  1. A few of my friends take 'bathroom' pics too. They are usually in one and all crowded together.

    One hotel that has an awesome bathroom--

    The Hilton. ANY Hilton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it odd that I have been with you to all of those bathrooms? Seems like we have waste issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stormy - bathrooms rock!! And not just because we need them. :) Lots of odd and unusual ones that we still haven't seen...I never thought about trying to squeeze everyone in. That may be a new thing to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina ~ no it's not odd that you've been to all of them with me. That's one of the things that makes them special. We quite possibly have waste issues. Remember the Home Depot one that smelled so bad? That was a doozy.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hygiene one. Using your foot.
    Cool post.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Juz ~ I thought the foot one was pretty clever. :) Seen any unusual bathrooms in your neck of the woods?

    ReplyDelete
  7. www.footpull.com (my product)

    Thanks for posting the pic,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete