Friday, March 5, 2010

Not Your Typical Nancy Drew Book Review

                                                          ....the first of many.

In my Random Resolutions post which I'm sure you've forgotten by now (if you'd like to take a moment to refresh your memory feel free to click here) I mentioned that I was going to read one Nancy Drew book a week.  Well that came to a screeching halt when I lost book #2.  Despite my trauma over losing the book I decided I needed to go ahead and do a review of book #1, "Secret of the Old Clock". 

nancy drew and earrings 007

There are things that I notice when I'm reading, or rather re-reading, my Nancy Drew books.  I tend to notice what she eats and what she wears.

For example, to go shopping in Chapter 3, she is becomingly dressed in a tan cotton suit.  In Chapter 4 she's driving her dad downtown and then she's going to run errands in a yellow sun back dress, jacket, gloves and her handbag. 

I have to keep in mind the book I'm reading was written at a different time.  Nonetheless I find it interesting. 

The first time it mentions food specifically is in Chapter 17 and she's enjoying a delicious midnight meal including a chicken sandwich, cocoa and cinnamon cake with hot applesauce poured on top.  Just seems weird.  I guess she was hungry after all her sleuthing. 

She starts of her day in Chapter 18 looking very attractive in a blue summer sweater suit to attend a meeting with her dad, a prominent lawyer in River Heights and the bank president.  And Nancy begins her day with a breakfast of waffles and a dish of strawberries. 

The last outfit noted was a simple green linen sports dress with a matching sweater.  She wore this to share the good news about Josiah Crowley's' will. 

And there you have it folks.  That's what intrigues me about the Nancy Drew book series.  :)  If you want to know more about the plot and the storyline I'm sure you can google it and you'll find tons of info. 

2 comments:

  1. I remember the time when women wore gloves. My Aunt did that. We just weren't ready until then.

    Remember the Nancy Drew tv show? Who played her? I also watched The Hardy Bros. The good old days of TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela Sue Martin played Nancy Drew. I used to want to be a detective, then I wanted to write mystery novels and now I just want to road trip and write about that. :) I love the dress styles from the 50's...maybe we need to start a trend and bring them back!

    ReplyDelete