Friday, March 19, 2010

Shades and a Random Magnet

March 19, 2007

The Price Is Right Adventure

Jarrett drove us to the airport and we arrived with plenty of time to spare.  Before we entered the ropes to go thru the first part of security, I bought some sunglasses for the trip.  They were larger than I normally wear but I was going for the Hollywood look.  They were only $10 and I thought they looked cute on me.  I promptly nicknamed them my "Hollywood's" in honor of our trip. 

As we headed toward the security checkpoint a woman asked if I was an actress or something as my face was familiar.  I told her no, we were just two sisters on a road trip but I smiled and thought to myself, "WOW!!... somebody thought I was famous!"  This was going to be a great trip. 

tpir 015

I am not sure if you travel much but in my adventures I've come to realize that all kinds of people travel.  First time travelers and seasoned travelers.  Demanding travelers and those that are easy going.  Travelers with stories to tell, odd travelers, nervous travelers...you get the idea.

My sister and I were flying Southwest Airlines and we sat down to wait for the boarding time.  We were in line and behind us there was a woman in a wheelchair.  Her companion that was with her went to get her some water so that wheelchair woman didn't have a "moment".  We weren't sure what that meant exactly but we were pretty sure we didn't want to find out. 

The lady that was in front of us was on Weight Watcher's (hereafter referred to as w3 - Weight Watcher Woman).  Aaahhhh, something we have in common.  She had already made lifetime but she had gained a lot of the weight back.  So w3 was sharing with us that she had a friend that was three times her size.  w3 said that her friend wanted her to cook for her to help her lose weight and w3 let us know that she didn't have time to cook for herself much less her friend.  She said the lady was Hispanic and didn't know how to measure.

At this point I am looking at her and thinking...are you kidding me?  Do I have some internal magnet that draws weird and random conversations out of people?  And what does the fact that her friend was Hispanic have anything to do with knowing (or not knowing) how to measure?

Anyways, we survived waiting in line and boarded the plane.  We were all seated and started to back out from the terminal when we noticed that the attendant kept looking to the back and was talking on the phone to someone.  There apparently was a problem.  My sister and I had never experienced this so we were very interested in what was going on.  It seems that someone wanted off the plane.  Are you kidding me?  Are you serious?  The answer was yes to both questions.  Everyone on the plane was whispering and looking back to see who it was. 

The plane pulled back into the terminal and everyone stared as a girl from the very back of the plane stood up to exit.  I didn't have a mud pie to throw at her but I thought about it.  That probably would not have been a nice thing to do.  I have to admit, this did add a bit of excitement to our trip but it also caused some people to be late for their connecting flights.

The girl got off the plane and everyone was situated so we again pulled back from the terminal and prepared to depart.  We enjoyed talking with our seatmate and other than the girl requesting to be let off, the flight was uneventful.

We landed in ABQ (Albuquerque) where the air smells like root beer according to Weird Al, and waited for those passengers who were deplaning to deplane and then waiting for those passengers who were waiting to board, board.  This leg of the trip we sat next to Jason who was a very nice real estate guy.  The LA area was his home so I asked if he had met any famous people and he said that he was not "into the LA scene".  Darn!  One thing though, we were on a night flight and Jason asked me if that was Tuscon, motioning to the city lights below us.  So I thought to myself:

A)  How would I know?  I stink at geography!

B)  It was nighttime and there were no huge neon signs indicating city names or state boundaries.

I turned to Gina, who probably wouldn't know either but is better at geography than me, and asked her and she said that it was.  She said it with a lot of confidence.  Jason heard her response and let us know that there was about an hour left on our flight. 

Drew, our flight attendant who is based out of Houston, did give my sister some things to take back to her class.  That was pretty cool.  Everyone needs to give Drew kudos for that.  If you ever meet Drew be sure and give him a high five. 

Our Mom and Dad met us at the airport with a homemade sign that said our last names on it like they were limo drivers or something.  We thought that was a very LA thing to do. 

tpir 016

While waiting for our bags we noticed a man that was talking on his cell phone with a Kleenex sticking out of his nose.  Yes, that's right, he had a Kleenex just sticking out of his nostril and he was talking and acting like nothing was there.  I was trying to inconspicuously take a picture by saying, "Mom, Dad - stand there and let me take a pic of y'all" when all I was really trying to do was get a good angle.  The picture that came out the best is very blurry but you get the idea. 

tpir 017

Now Gina had thought that we were going to get a chance to go to the hotel room first and freshen up but Mom and Dad wanted to go and see if there was a line at CBS first. 

tpir 019

Good thing that we did that.  We got there around 10:45p.m. and there was already a long line of people.  YIKES!!!  We quickly jumped out of the car and got in line while Dad went and parked the car.  We estimated there to be about 100 or so people ahead of us. 

tpir 018

And so our TPIR (The Price Is Right) adventure begins....

No comments:

Post a Comment