Thursday, January 28, 2010

A not so mysterious disappearance...

We boarded our flight to El Paso to attend my Grampa's funeral and settled in our seats.  I had brought along my Nancy Drew book #2 "The Hidden Staircase" as I was planning on reading to catch up on my Random Resolutions. 

nancy drew 2

We started to back away from the gate when the plane stopped.  We sat for about 20 minutes not knowing if something was wrong.  We just guessed that there was some sort of issue.  The pilot came on and explained they had heard something odd with the engine and it needed to be checked out.  It should take about 30-45 minutes and then we'd be on our way again.  Swell.

An hour later the pilot announces that indeed something needed to be repaired.  It would take maintenance about 20 minutes to fix it once they retrieved the part from the hanger.  Hmm - we weren't sure about the timing as we were wanting a chance to get something to eat before the service.

I put the book in the seat pocket in front of me and my brother and I got off the plane to talk to the gate attendant.  The decision was made to rebook our flights.  We went back on the plan and told Mom and Gina of our plans, grabbed our carry-ons and ran to catch our new flight.

As we were making our way to the new terminal I suddenly remembered something.  I forgot my book.  This book was one I had had since around age 10 or 11.  Maybe younger.  Also the bookmark holding my place was one that was given to me by my Airman son.  Double sadness.

Luckily I had written my name and address in the front cover.  Unfortunately for me it was my name and address from about 32 years ago when I lived in Virginia. 

I tried various ways to retrieve my book.  I called the Lost & Found department at both airports.  I had my Dad stop by and ask when he was flying out.  I even tried calling the person that lives in my old house in Virginia.  Then I went into super stalker mode and called the lady next door and the lady that lives across the street.  All those attempts were in vain.

My book is lost and I am sad......

2 comments:

  1. You just never know. One day while in a town at some store....

    Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to become the chick in the movie "Definitely Maybe" who keeps looking for the book her Dad gave her. But that's okay because maybe one day I'll find it.

    ReplyDelete