Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pierced Ears

My ears are pierced and have been since I was in 2nd grade.  I had them pierced at Leggett's Department Store when we lived in Fredericksburg, Virginia.  The way I remember it, they put an ice cube on my ear in order to numb it.  Then they pushed the earring thru my earlobe and voila!  I had pierced ears.

Those earrings were simple gold studs.  Classic earrings in my opinion.  We had to apply hydrogen peroxide to avoid infection and had to wait six weeks before changing out the earrings.

I was excited to finally be able to switch out my earrings because my Mom had bought me a really cool pair to wear.  They were these tan/yellowish colored circles that reminded me of Cheerios.  I LOVED Cheerios so I thought they looked pretty cool.  I don't know whatever happened to my Cheerio earrings. 

Since I've obviously had my ears pierced for a long time it's safe to assume that I've owned many, many pairs of earrings.  I remember for my birthday one year my Mom got me some little earrings that were shaped like a birthday cake.  I also have a pair that my Dad had given me that he bought in Mexico I think.  I lost the other one but still have one earring to remind me. 

And since I've owned many pairs of earrings as most girls with pierced earrings do, I have a couple that have some sentimental value.  The first pair are my Liberty Bell earrings.

ear 025

I am not sure when I got these.  I know I took a trip with a girl and her family to Pennsylvania but I don't remember much else.  I do know that I brought these home as a souvenir and I've had them ever since.  They are at least 30 years old if not older and I actually still wear them from time to time. 

The second pair are a very expensive pair that I usually wear on special occasions. 

eear 007

These were a Mother's Day gift from my younger son Nicholas.  When he gave them to me he asked me if I thought they looked like they cost a million dollars and I told him I most certainly thought they did.  He then told me that they really only cost $4.97 at Walmart.  Whew!  What a relief!  I thought he might have robbed a bank or something to be able to buy those for me.

These two memories came back to me tonight because I recently bought something to organize my earrings.  A year or two ago my sister showed me how she was storing her earrings.  She was using pill boxes and they seemed the perfect size so I went and bought some pill boxes but I bought some that were a little different.

nancy drew and earrings 015

I liked the idea but I was having a little trouble seeing my earrings.  Then I happened by Walmart and found these containers in the craft section and they work perfectly for me. 

nancy drew and earrings 014

They are stored on a tray and since they are clear I can easily see what earrings are inside.  I am really happy that I switched to this and thanks to Gina for the inspiration and my Mom for getting my ears pierced in the first place.  :)

Technorati Tags: ,,,

8 comments:

  1. I believe I was in junior high when my ears were pierced. I was at a jewelery store and they used the piercing gun.

    Like you, I have tons of earrings. Sometimes my daughter goes through them and then I'll see a pair I have long forgotten about.

    I keep all my earrings in various jewelery boxes....all over my dresser. And to this day, I'm lucky if I wear earrings 6 times a year. I just don't think much about them before I leave my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Mine are all lumped together and I can never find what I'm looking for. I may do this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lisa i don't have any earings and my ears are peirced too. is this sad?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sarah - did you seriously just call me Lisa? I don't know about that and yes it is a bit sad that your ears are pierced and you have no earrings. Next time I see you I shall buy you some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Stormy - I almost ALWAYS wear earrings! I feel weird if I'm not. Now that I'm storing them in the clear containers I can just drop the individual container of earrings that I'm wearing that day in my pocket or makeup bag. Makes them very portable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Amie - I was using these free pill boxes that I had received from various places and they worked fine but I couldn't tell which earrings were in which containers. Then I switched to the colored pill cases but still it wasn't quite right. Switching to the clear ones that are on the tray has been much easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya Mother whom i love so much
    I think i own 3 pairs of earings with anna and sarah. Therefore I only own 1 pair.....you should get me some stud earings. OR those ones at forever 21 I was convinced to get and you convinced me not!

    Love your darling daughter

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kat - Mom will buy you some earrings. You know I will!!

    ReplyDelete