Thursday, January 28, 2010

Remembering BMT

Nick joined the AF in September '08.  His graduation weekend dates were October 16-19.  If you've never had a child join the military it is definitely a life changing experience for all involved.

Since my son and I already lived in different states I was used to there being a geographic separation.  I wasn't fully prepared for not being able to call and talk when it was convenient for one of us.  That was hard.

We arrived in San Antonio Wednesday night.  I always love visiting there so being able to experience the BMT graduation in one of my favorite cities was a plus. 

Thursday morning was full of excitement and anticipation.  We were finally going to see Nick.

air force 10.08 191

af 078

We lined the streets in preparation for the Airman's Run.  Nick was not participating as he had to complete some miscellaneous things but we stood there to encourage and cheer on the other Airmen. 

Over the hill came the first flight of Airmen.  Even though they were a ways away you could hear them singing their Jodies.  I was so excited even though I knew Nick was not there.

These are the Warkhawk Award recipients.  They have the honor of leading the flights in the Airman's Run.

af 030

This is the 331st TRS - Wolfpack.  May God have mercy on the Wolfpack's prey.

af 064

af 066

af 081

After watching all the flights pass the next event was the Coin Ceremony.  My family went to save our seats and I ran to the other side to try and get a picture of Nick.  This is my first glimpse of my Airman.

af 103

af 107

How handsome and grown up he looks!

After the ceremony was complete we were able to run and greet our Airman. 

af 023

af 024

af 022

The next day was the "official" graduation day.  We tried to get there early to get a good spot and there were 13 of us in all that were there to celebrate Nick's special day. 

air force 10.08 176

Once the ceremony was complete we were again able to run and greet our Airman.

air force 10.08 180.1

air force 10.08 182

air force 10.08 184

All around us we could see people hugging, crying, laughing and talking.  Everyone was happy to be reunited once again.  There were some Airmen that were still standing as no one was coming for them which led me to my AFWingMom idea.  But that's a story for another day.

We were given a guided tour of the dorms and were able to get a glimpse into the life of our Airman while in Basic Military Training.

air force2 003

air force 10.08 236

The neatly made beds...

air force 10.08 195

The tidy clothes....

air force 10.08 203

The organized areas.....

air force 10.08 204

Were all things we were able to see.  We were also able to meet some of the people responsible for transforming my son into an Airman.

air force 10.08 237

air force 10.08 193

My siblings, their spouses and Marvin and I were able to enjoy some time in San Antonio while Nick spent some time with his Dad and the family.

air force 10.08 250

On Saturday we went to SeaWorld and we had a blast.  You can barely see it but on my shirt on the side closest to Nick I am wearing the Parent Pin that he had given me the day before.  :) 

air force2 072

air force2 294

air force2 299

Sunday was our final day.  We went to Chapel with Nick. 

air force2 316

air force2 307

We bought Nick a case for his coins.

air force2 303

air force2 305

We said our final goodbyes.  We were so moved by the whole experience and so proud of Nick.

air force2 337

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, but I have had a hard time looking at them through the tears...Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless your son. It takes a special person to devote their life to the military.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda - you will get to experience the same thing soon! :) (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stormy!! He is a very special person. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello Lisa, I know you are so proud of you son. he is a very handsome young man.....Godspeed to him and your family. Our son Jake has spent the last year in Afghanistan, he is Army, but once someone is a millitary parent it doesn't matter what branch of service your child or other children are in you all carry the same feelings around of pride. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    http://flemingfamilycircus.blogspot.com
    Jami (Bishop) Fleming

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jami - I'd love to read your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so glad to have read your blog. My son Michael left for BMT just tuesday and I was waiting for his phone call and it came at 2:30 am. I fumbled for my cellphone, pen and pad that I had ready and waiting. It helped me to read your heart about your experiences and it touched me to tears. Not sad tears but mother tears, because my son is there right now and I am so proud of him. My father retired from the AirForce and my husband served 7 years in the AirForce and now our son. I have other family members that have and are in the military right now. Wow! I've alway had AirForce pride but it hit me last year that I should have pride for all branches in the military. But then again it doesnt stop there. I have a son who is a Firefighter and Im pride of him also. I will keep all in my prayers Thank you AF WingMom, I'll look forward to reading helpful words again.

    ReplyDelete