Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Grampa

My Mom, brother, sister and I took a short trip to El Paso, Tx to join my Dad in saying goodbye to someone very special to me - my Grampa. 

I only had one Grampa while growing up and he was my Dad's dad.  My Mom's dad (Bernard Nicholas Walsh) passed away when my Mom was only 14 so we never had the opportunity to get to know him. 

Every summer we would visit my grandparents in El Paso.  And every summer we would have fun.  My Grampa was a stone mason and their house was one that he had built himself. 

This picture of the house I think was from the 70's.

sd2 041

This is a picture from just a few years ago.

July 06 010

When we learned of my Grampa's passing we quickly began making plans - flight, hotel, car rental etc.  We decided to fly out mid-morning and arrive with plenty of time to spare. 

After a couple of glitches in our quickly made plans we arrived at my grandparents house and visited a bit before the service. 

Arriving at the funeral home brought a mixture of emotions.  I don't think one is ever quite prepared to face the reality of death.

Seeing my Grampa lying there, looking as though he was resting, made me think about how I will remember him.  He was a strong, hardworking man.  He built things.  He fixed things.  How I wished I could have one more of his famous strong hugs. 

He was a good man....and I will miss him.old pics 001

Gabino Armendariz

12-23-22 ~ 01-13-10

3 comments:

  1. I loved his hugs and his kisses on my cheeks! He was an AMAZING man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss our blue van! It was awesome with the makeshift bed in the back.

    ReplyDelete