Monday, February 8, 2010

Our January Trip to South Dakota

I love to road trip.  I love researching on RoadsideAmerica.com for cool places to visit.  They now have a really cool iPhone app that I'm having a lot of fun using.  Now on to our trip.

Day 1

We left on Thursday afternoon and made it to Wichita Kansas.  The purpose of our trip was to take Nick his "new to him" car.  It was getting foggy and it was late and so we stopped. 

We checked into our hotel, Quality Suites Airport and settled in.  We got up the next morning and headed out after eating our free full breakfast.  The best part of the hotel was Steve, the guy who helped during breakfast.  He was really friendly and seemed like a good guy.

Day 2

Not a whole lot to say about Kansas or Nebraska as they were extremely FOGGY. 

sd jan 2010 031

sd jan 2010 033

sd jan 2010 034

sd jan 2010 036

sd jan 2010 037

Not completely sure if these were taken in Kansas or Nebraska because as I said it was really, really foggy.

 

Before leaving Kansas we stopped at a travel information center.

sd jan 2010 047

We actually had fun talking with the people that were inside.  We even met a couple from South Dakota that were on their way to Texas.  This travel information center also had a great assortment of handmade crafts that looked like someone's grandma had made.  They also had lots of the regular souvenir stuff you would expect - Wizard of Oz and sunflower stuff. 

I mentioned RoadsideAmerica.com earlier.  Well one of the sites that I had researched was the World's Largest Porch Swing.  Here's a picture of me on the porch swing. 

sd jan 2010 049

sd jan 2010 055

It's not too far off of the highway in Hebron Nebraska.  You just take US 81 to the outskirts of town and turn west onto Lincoln Ave. Drive into town and turn left onto 5th St., then right onto Jefferson Ave. The swing will be on the right, in Roosevelt Park.

Speaking of 5th St.......

sd jan 2010 059

Oh how I love the number 5.

Also while we were there we were fortunate enough to pass by the Post Office. 

sd jan 2010 062

After we had a little side trip we stopped for a bite to eat in York, Nebraska.  They had had a lot of snow and here's a picture of my hubby parked beside where they had plowed. 

sd jan 2010 069

We stopped to eat at Country Kitchen.

sd jan 2010 072

I had the baked potato soup.

sd jan 2010 075

It was delicious!  And one cool thing about York, Nebraska is they have an awesome water tower!

sd jan 2010 085

6 comments:

  1. Cool! I was born and raised in Nebraska. Some of the coldest weather you will ever be in is in that state!

    You know though, I've not been to Hebron. York, yes...Hebron, no.

    I don't live there anymore, but have family there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stormy - there are quite a few things to see in Nebraska. We just happened to be passing by Hebron. I just love York's water tower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Nebraska and travel 81 quite a bit didnt' know about the world's largest swing - I like that kinka of stuff too so the next time we go through I will have to check it out. Was the Kansas rest stop in Belleville if it was the Paul Boyer Museum of Animated Carvings is interesting. I know they use to have some of his stuff at the rest stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lynette ~ thanks for stopping by! I believe the Kansas rest stop was the one you mentioned. They had a little display at the front near the entrance. I look forward to a future roadtrip where I'll be able to "see" more of the scenery. The fog was just overwhelming but we made do! :)

    ReplyDelete