Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Prez Parade

On our recent trip to South Dakota we were able to spend part of Saturday exploring Rapid City which is also known as "The City of the Presidents".  In addition to the presidents you can find at Mt. Rushmore there are also bronze statues scattered throughout the downtown area. 

The bronze sculptures are a part of the City of Presidents project that began in 2000 as a way of honoring the American presidency.  There is a visitor center located at:  302 Main St. (Downtown), Rapid City, SD 57701. 

I have to admit I have never memorized the names of all of our presidents.  Because of that I found myself quite surprised at some of the names that we came across. 

Here are some pics of some of the lesser known (to me) presidents:

sd jan 2010 201

Warren G. Harding

sd jan 2010 208 

Franklin Pierce

sd jan 2010 298

William Henry Harrison

sd jan 2010 305 

John Tyler

I'm sure there are some of y'all out there that are thinking how could I not know these presidents.  I know, it seems weird that I wouldn't know all of them but I just never had to memorize them and never had the desire to memorize them.  You can check out ALL the presidents by visiting this site:  Whitehouse.gov The Presidents.

Now we can't just take regular pictures of the statues and call it a day.  We have to have a little fun as well....

sd jan 2010 202

sd jan 2010 217

sd jan 2010 254

sd jan 2010 285

sd jan 2010 295

sd jan 2010 266

sd jan 2010 291

We had a great time exploring a little bit more of Rapid City and increasing our knowledge at the same time.  :)  Fun times with family!

2 comments:

  1. Hee hee,
    cool pics indeed.
    Looks you guys had a blast.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment to CJ on my blog. And I LOVE these pics....especially the one with the statue hand on the head!!

    Hallie :)

    ReplyDelete