Saturday, August 7, 2010

Project AF WingMom

af 078

I'm a proud parent of an active Airman.  When he graduated from BMT (Basic Military Training) I was able to witness firsthand and be a part of the joyous reunion between graduating Airman and their family and friends.  Click here to read about my BMT experience.

af 023 

While enjoying my time with my son, I was also very aware of the Airman who had no family or friends around.  Now I'm not talking about those that couldn't afford to travel.  Or were unable to take off work, or those that were too sick or elderly.  I mean just those that didn't care for one reason or another.

That got me to thinking about how many of our young people start off their military careers with little or no support or encouragement.  No letters at mail call.  No happy reunions at BMT graduation to look forward to. 

I thought to myself - maybe I could do something.  You know, something to change that.  I decided I wanted to "adopt" an Airman and become his/her AFWingMom.  I knew that I wanted to be that person.  The one to try to connect with them and be a source of encouragement.  That person that writes them letters to hopefully brighten their day and give them hope that they can make it through BMT.  The one that stands cheering as they run by on the Airman's run.  That person that beams proudly as they pass in review. 

air force 10.08 176

I've heard of various "projects" in the past and I've always wanted to have one.  It sounded cool. 

I then realized I have a project.  Project AFWingMom.  And before I over analyzed and/or overwhelmed myself with the particulars I decided to just start doing pieces of my master plan. 

And so it begins with me writing letters to a friend that joined the AF in December '09 - Cody.  Now obviously I wrote letters to my son while he was in BMT but Cody was the first non-family member that I was going to be writing.  I met another young man at my work and even though we had only actually spoken twice I wrote him several letters as well while he was in BMT.  His name is Jonathan.  Another friend, D'shon,  has joined and will be receiving letters from me as well. 

air force 10.08 191

Now up to this point the Airmen I've been writing to all have a support system in place.  I'd like my project to focus more on those that really don't have anyone.  And of course any time someone I know or hear about that joins I'd be more than happy to write to them.  But you've got to start somewhere.

So that's my idea.  I'd love to hear what you think about it.  I'll be on the lookout for my next Airman.  Maybe I'll reach out to a recruiter or maybe I'll meet them some other way.  Maybe one of you reading this will let me know of someone who could use an AFWingMom in their life.  :)  I'm not 100% sure how the next Airman will come into my life but I am sure that Project AFWingMom has begun.

I created a facebook page to connect with others that are either going through the BMT process or have gone through it and are willing to share their learning's and experiences to help others.  Networking and support groups do help and I hope mine is something that will make an impact on others.  Check it out ~ AF WingMoms and come be a part of the fun.

8 comments:

  1. That's very nice of you.
    You've got a good heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing to do! I knew several airman back in basic who would've loved something like this. Thanks for your kindness- you will change lives for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Juz for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks "Anonymous"! :) I think the Airman would like it too so I'm going to keep working on it. If you have any ideas please share them. I'd love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful person you are! Bless your heart. You can definitely adopt an airman for Thanksgiving. That's always nice. After that maybe you can stay in touch with them or maybe they could even let you know of someone in their flight who doesn't recieve letters or really have any support :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so sweet of you to start a project like this. since you have been to Lackland AFB before is there any official there that can disclose names to you so you can brighten a Airman's day??? keep up the hard work as I will be going to basic on November 9th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike that is AWESOME! I'm sure the privacy policy prohibits them from disclosing names so I'll have to figure out some creative way to find Airman. You're going to basic in November? Well if you can figure out a way to get me your address I will promise to write you random letters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea! When my son was in AF BMT I found that I really lliked writing to him. I definitely have to time to write a few more to AB's who would not get letters otherwise.....

    ReplyDelete