Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Where's my Egg McMuffin?

A colleague of mine was making a breakfast run not too long ago and the choice for the day was McDonald's.  I enjoy nearly everything on the menu (and have a waistline to prove that) and on that day I went with the classic Egg McMuffin

1

Not too long after I received a call.  I was then horrified, yes HORRIFIED to learn that this particular McDonald's did not serve Egg McMuffins. 

::: WHAT??  THEY DON'T SERVE EGG MCMUFFINS?? :::

::: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? :::

How can they NOT serve them?  It's McDonald's for crying out loud!

Many of you may not know how the Egg McMuffin came into existence.  I certainly didn't know until my sis mentioned the history behind it on our recent trip to Washington when we at at Shari's Restaurant

This core menu item came into existence in the 70's and was the vision of a man named Herb Peterson.  He was modifying an eggs Benedict sandwich which was being marketed by a competitor. 

He decided against using pre-packaged Hollandaise sauce because it was too runny and opted for adding a slice of cheese to a hot egg to get the exact consistency he was looking for. 

2

Poaching eggs didn't fit into the McDonald's assembly line production process so Peterson had to develop a custom cooking tool.  This cluster of six rings was placed on the grill to form the eggs in the shape of an English muffin.  Peterson added grilled Canadian bacon and the finished product was perfect for this sandwich-oriented fast-food chain.

3

So why didn't this restaurant located inside Walmart that's near my work serve them?  I asked that very question of one of the managers at the location where M and I eat lunch.  I was told that the McDonald's restaurants that are inside stores have a smaller grill and the unique cooking utensil developed for the Egg McMuffin doesn't fit on it.  Okay - that makes sense and now I know why I was unable to get my Egg McMuffin that morning.

I feel so much better.  How about you?

4

5

For more info about the Egg McMuffin you can visit the McDonald's website by clicking here.

5 comments:

  1. I call shenanigans! Assume that McDonald's uses the same size tool that was originally developed for this product, you reference a six ring device with each ring being the size of an english muffin. If that tool doesn't fit on the grill it stands to reason that they wouldn't be able to cook more than 6 beef patties at the same time. If I ordered 3 double cheese burgers the grill cook would not be able to process any other orders until my order was complete. This would create a tremendous beef backlog during peak hours causing customers to become disgruntled and ultimately lose customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a positive note, if a six ring device was used and you only needed to make 1 Egg Mcmuffin how many empty rings would you have? I think you know where I'm going with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Leif....the lady at the full size McDonald's said her grill is something like 6ft long and the ones inside of Walmart are only 3ft long. Since I don't know that to be a fact I couldn't speak to the space requirements to use the 6-ring device. What I do know is that the McDonald's inside the Walmart close to my work doesn't offer Egg McMuffins which is a tragedy but one I know I will be able to overcome. And as far as your second comment....here's a not so obvious H!GH 5! :) I will do more research into this matter and get back to you with my findings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I thought more about this travesty I took it upon myself to contact my local McDonald's that resides inside our Wal-Mart. Below is the response I got to my simple question about the Egg Mcmuffin.

    Hi Leif,

    Yes, the McDonald's in Walmart does sell the egg mcmuffin during breakfast hours. Breakfast ends at 10:30 am.

    Wendy Walla
    Owner/ McDonald's

    I guess the next time you want an Egg McMuffin from a Wal-Donalds you'll just have to come visit Rapid City, SD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so now I'll encourage all my friends & family to begin asking at McDonald's located inside other stores if they serve egg McMuffins. And I will visit Rapid City soon just to see for myself.

    ReplyDelete