Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Walkabout & the Steves Homestead (1876)

On a whim we toured the Steves Homestead (1876) on Saturday.  It was $6 for an approximately 45 minute tour.  No photography or video was allowed so the only pics I have to share are the ones taken outside.  Oddly enough I don't have one of the entire front of the house.

 1

2

4

5

I wonder why you can't take pics or video?  I forgot to ask the docent.  And speaking of the docent she shared lots of information and I unfortunately hardly remember any of it.  To help jog my memory I asked M what he remembered and as it turns out he remembered a lot.  He said he has a photographic memory and I reminded him that there was no photography allowed so I will be making a citizens arrest later.  And my Mom better not bail him out.

So in no particular order this is what our combined memories remembered:

There was no air conditioning

It had an indoor pool

There was a ballroom on the 3rd floor which was not a part of the tour.

The yard had a watering system.

The handrail to the staircase was short although I thought it was a perfect height.

A lot of the furnishings were purchased on the Steves many travels abroad.

One of the first houses to convert from gas to electric.

It was built with bathrooms and running water.

The sunroom had a sloping floor so any water would go into the drain.

San Antonio was a German town and German was the primary language.

Johanna Steves was like 4'6".  We aren't 100% sure on that fact.

It had cool pocket doors that I want M to make for our house.

Each room had a closet and a sink.

It cost $12,000 to build.

Some of the stuff (like the banister) was purchased from a catalog.  The Post Office thanks you for your business.

She had some jewelry made out of hair and gold.

Johanna had a really cool old sewing machine.

She a "hair catcher" and when she'd brush her hair she would shove the hair that fell out into the catcher.

She had 7 grandkids.

One of her sons was a banker.

And that's about all we can remember which is quite sad actually because the house was very interesting.  If they'd let me take pics I might have remembered more.

Here are some more things we saw in the King Williams area and downtown San Antonio.  And yeah - sometimes I like to tilt the camera.  Not sure why. 

san antonio trip 10.10 015

san antonio trip 10.10 030

san antonio trip 10.10 021

san antonio trip 10.10 033

san antonio trip 10.10 044

san antonio trip 10.10 059

san antonio trip 10.10 029

san antonio trip 10.10 032

san antonio trip 10.10 054

san antonio trip 10.10 045

san antonio trip 10.10 057

san antonio trip 10.10 089

san antonio trip 10.10 068

And that was part of our trip to San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment