Saturday, January 14, 2012

South Dakota Trip - Sep 2011

We got up at 3:15am which is literally the crack of dawn in order to get ready to go and see Nick.  We headed to DFW Airport to begin our trip and ate at BK because that's what we always seem to do.

IMG_4106

I almost always take a pic of the in flight snack.  It's just what I do.

IMG_4107

Our first layover of the trip was in Denver.  Now for those of you that don't know there's apparently a conspiracy that surrounds the Denver airport.  I didn't notice any conspirators around so I couldn't get any clarification to any of them.

IMG_4111

IMG_4113

We arrived in lovely Rapid City ready for a fun filled weekend and headed to Ellsworth to check in.  They allowed us to check in early so we had a place to drop off our bags and then we were off!

IMG_4116

We ate at a place called Pancheros and it was really yummy! Nick is apparently a regular there because when they saw him walk in one of the cooks walked to the back to cut up some fresh cilantro for him. :) That's my boy!!

IMG_4118

It's definitely a place we would visit again.

After filling our tummies we were off again and headed to Mt. Rushmore so that I could get my National Park Passport Stamps Book stamped. We had visited several times before but we are always amazed at the magnificence of it all.

4 mt rush 2 mt. rush2

Stamped Passport Book in hand we were now ready to head to Keystone and ride the 1880 Train from Keystone to Hill City and back again. While waiting on the train we walked around Keystone checking things out.

south dakota trip 020

There's a cool shop called Dahl's Chainsaw Art.  Two brothers own it and their work is pretty awesome.

sd 007sd 008 

...and I love taking pics of the lights above me.

south dakota trip 023

Hey M ~ you've got mail!

south dakota trip 025

A picture of us in a really big wooden chair.

south dakota trip 035

Now it's time to wait for the train.

south dakota trip 048

south dakota trip 055

The three of us ready for a fun ride on the train

IMG_4120

south dakota trip 061south dakota trip 067 

On the way we passed this sign and if you know my family you will know I had to take a pic.

south dakota trip 065

We made it to Hill City.

south dakota trip 109

Brief stop to drop off and pick up passengers and then we were on our way again. 

Is he facebooking?

south dakota trip 121

There's a house for sale out there that I'd LOVE to have

south dakota trip 118south dakota trip 119 

We had the chance to meet the conductor and get his autograph so we did.  How often can you say you've done that?

sd 004

I had such a fun time with both my guys and was excited because there was more fun ahead!

<3

 

No comments:

Post a Comment