Sunday, September 12, 2010

Elongating Coins

Is it legal or illegal?  After some quick research (okay I googled it) I found the following information:

Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 17, Section 331

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States; or

Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or lightened—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

So you've seen those machines at various tourist attractions that elongate a coin.  While at Mt. Rushmore I saw this notice sign on the penny machine.

18

I threw caution to the wind and decided to live life on the edge and elongate a coin.  Here are my results:

more stuff stuff 012

The reverse side:

more stuff stuff 016

Do any of you out there in blog-land collect these? 

1 comment:

  1. My son and daughter used to collect them. Ariana has a book to keep them in. I never thought about it but I guess they would outlaw the machines if it were illegal. I think she even got some at Washington DC when we went on a school trip a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete