Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Pot of Beans

On Sundays I like to make a pot of beans.  It's so easy and simple to make and tastes so good when they're finished cooking.

1

The way I do it is I start off with a bag of pinto beans.  I usually use the store brand.  I empty the bag onto my awesomely big kitchen island and search for small pieces of dirt and beans that "just don't look right". 

2

See the pieces of dirt and stuff?  Here's a close-up.

11

I then put the beans in a pot and add enough water to cover them. 

3

Next I "clean" the beans by grabbing a handful and rubbing them together in the water.  After grabbing and rubbing I drain the dirty water.  You're basically trying to get rid of any residual dirt etc.  Depending on the package of beans I sometimes have to repeat the cleaning process.

Once I've "washed" the beans now it's time to get to cooking.  I fill the pot again with water till it's nearly to the top.  I add a ham hock for flavor and some salt to taste.  Turn the burner on high to get them boiling then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 4 hours.  Check on them periodically and add water as needed. 

4

5

Once the beans are tender they are finished cooking.  It's now time to serve them up!  I like my beans in a bowl with some cheese sprinkled on top.  Yummy for the tummy!

6

3 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good to me and they probalbly smell good when they are cooking. Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always soak overnight till they swell up ,doesn't take as long to cook that way .Whatever works ...look good , I like alittle butter on mine !

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm did ya smash them up and make bean sandwhiches? hahaha

    ReplyDelete