Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thunderhead Underground Falls

Nick is actually the one who told me about Thunderhead Underground Falls.  It's very close to Rapid City, just 10 miles west on Highway 44.  The attraction is open May 1 - November 1 and it costs $6 per person to get in. 

The actual falls (and do you say falls when you are actually seeing only one?) are located 600 feet inside the mountain.  When I first heard this I thought, WOW!  But it's not that far.  It's gushing 8 cubic feet of water (I really don't know what that means) falls vertically for more than 30 feet.  Unfortunately not many of my pics turned out because the lighting was not very good inside.  You can click here and there are some better pics.

It was a nice quick walk to the falls.  You really can't see much but it was very cool inside and that felt great on such a hot day.

1

Here's Mom and Dad and then me and M as we are about to go in.

3

4

5

6

Mom and Nick waiting for M to buy our tickets.

7

8

Notice M paying close attention to the warning sign.  It says, "This is a historic site.  Please do not pick up rocks or deface the area."

9

Nick and M hiking the 600 feet

10

Traces of copper

11

Drill Marks

12

Quartz veins (like the ones in the pic) sometimes held rich gold deposits

13

Here's my pic from the falls

14

For those of you that know my Mom we actually had to physically hold her back from jumping in to get all the money in there.

15

Here's a pic of a baby trout

16

17

We had a fun time and enjoyed visiting Thunderhead Underground Falls

18

No comments:

Post a Comment